I am definitely suffering tonight. I got a terrific book on cassette at the library this week. It's TORTURE!!!! No skipping ahead, no skimming through the irrelevant stuff. No, I'm just PLODDING onward through eleven---ELEVEN!!--hours of great literature, word by inevitable word. I do not read this way. I CANNOT read this way. Arrgh. I thought maybe a book on tape would make the ironing and the dishes a little more palatable. My mom gave me the idea--she listens to Harry Potter as she works around the house. But you definitely don't want to be chained to the tape player listening to something you haven't read before. The suspense and the waiting are horrible.
Today's church was very enlightening. As most of you know, I got called to be the Primary Chorister a few weeks ago--my favorite job. I love it. I immediatley rushed to JoAnns for supplies and I've been cutting and creating visual aids ever since. I put on my special music apron, grab my garden wheelbarrow full of props, and have a great time with the kids. Primary's great. I do--I promise you--try very, very hard to teach the gospel and share my testimony, but it's still kind of a show. I've spent plenty of time sitting there with a class full of wiggly kids. I figure teachers AND kids deserve to have a great time.
Today our HC member read a quote by Elder Bednar about teaching by the spirit that advised that anytime we draw attention to ourselves in the presentation of a lesson, it is a form of priestcraft. An image of myself, dressed in an apron and waving a gold-painted antifreeze funnel around as I told the kids (all curled up on the floor as seeds) to AWAKE, AWAKE!! burst suddenly into my mind. I whispered to Tom, "Is my music apron a form of priestcraft?" Without hesitation he responded, "Oh, yeah. Definitely." That whole episode pretty much dulled the best compliment I've ever recieved in primary. A teacher told me that I make her think of Ms Frizzle from the Magic School Bus. That, unfortunately, seals it. Priestcraft.
Well, I can't stand it anymore. I'm going to put on earphones and try to listen to the remaining eight hours of the book while I sleep. We'll see if the Suzuki method works--I'll tell you if I'm satisfied in the morning. G'night.
Sunday, May 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Having had both kinds of primary choristers (the ones that make 15 minutes feel like 5, and the ones that make 5 minutes feel like 30), I'm all for antifreeze funnels. I bet your kids, your primary's teachers, and brother Bednar are, too.
BTW, I have enjoyed some books on tape before, but was once stuck with Sun Tsu and his so-called Art of War on a 4 hour trip to Cleveland. By the time I had gotten through about 90 "Sun Tsu say - don't fight an army twice your size in a pitched battle on the open plain", I realized that this ancient volume would probably not be the key to professional success. In my defense, Bob Iger said it would, but I should learn not to trust Disney execs.
I don't consider Cecily's visit to be a good enough reason for not posting (unless you are now dead, which I suppose could have happened...). Besides, you have it easy - whenever you don't have bloggable material, you just have to follow Timmy around.
Post a Comment